The CLE initiative has two main aims: to achieve a broad shared understanding of the notion of Cultural Literacy and its importance; and to increase the visibility of the challenge presented by Cultural Literacy and of the contributions which LCS scholars and their fellow researchers continue to make in this area.
To achieve these aims, CLE is bringing together academics, educators, artists, policy-makers and members of the cultural industries, as well as a growing number of partner institutions, in a Forum for discussion and development across Europe and beyond.
The CLE Forum has undertaken the following actions:
- created an international Core Group to oversee all activities;
- organised a Workshop on ‘Migration’ in May 2016;
- organised the second biennial Conference in May 2017, at the Institute of Literary Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw;
- organised the second Interim Symposium at the Monash Prato Centre in Tuscany in July 2018.
- set up Special Interest Groups devoted to key areas and initiatives.
It also continues to assure an enhanced web presence, support the distribution of information, share good practice, research outcomes and communication among interested parties.of information, share good practice, research outcomes and communication among interested parties.