Monday 9 – Tuesday 10 July 2018
Monash University Prato Centre
Via Pugliesi 26, 59100 Prato, Italy
Organised by Monash University, with the support of the Monash Education Academy
Call for Papers
Learning from Cultural Literacy: Practice and Theory
The first biennial Cultural Literacy in Europe Conference took place in London in April 2015; the second in Warsaw in 2017. We are now pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the second Interim Symposium of the Cultural Literacy in Europe forum (CLE). The Symposium serves a dual purpose – as an independent event, and as an introductory session to the biennial Cultural Literacy in Europe Conference (next to be held in Lisbon in 2019).
In 2018, the Symposium will take place at the Monash Prato Centre in Tuscany. Grounded in Literary and Cultural Studies, Cultural Literacy addresses cultures and cultural artefacts as text-like constructions that are inherently readable, and subject to interpretation. Under the broad thematic umbrella of “Learning from Cultural Literacy”, this interdisciplinary Symposium aims to share new research on Cultural Literacy and its application to different fields. We welcome applications that touch on one or more of the following areas:
* Pedagogical approaches to Cultural Literacy: how can we best teach/learn using Cultural Literacy as a pedagogical method, or how can we teach/learn about Cultural Literacy, as a subject matter?
* What can translation teach us about Cultural Literacy?
* Creative representations of Cultural Literacy.
* Semiotics and cultural readability, different approaches to reading and interpreting the world.
* Cultural Literacy and digital humanities.
* Literature and Cultural Literacy: literary theory vs. literary practice.
* Cultural Literacy and inter/transdisciplinarity.
The Symposium will include presentations, discussion papers, workshop sessions and roundtables on potential research areas for collaborative international projects through publications and grants, in Europe and abroad.
Download the Call for Papers / flyer (PDF)
The proposed format will include practice-based workshops, paper presentations , and roundtables. We will also have a forum for doctoral student presentations in the evenings.
How to contribute
Please see the menu on the right for further information